Log in

Minnesota Farmers' Market Association 

Minnesota Cottage Foods Academy

The MN Cottage Foods Law (Minnesota Statute 28A.152) was first passed in 2015, allowing for "non-potentially hazardous foods" (baked foods; certain pickled or canned foods; jams, jellies, etc.) to be made in your home kitchen without a license, as long as the cottage food producer (CFP) took the mandated food safety training and registered with the Minnesota Department of Agriculture. 

MFMA is offering free online Tier 1 cottage food trainings. The 2-hour training will cover the legal requirements; food safety issues; completing the MDA training, test, and submitting your application. IF you or someone you know needs the training in a language other than English, tell us that in your email. CLICK HERE to register for classes.


What foods are "cottage foods" in Minnesota? 

MFMA and the Minnesota Cottage Food Producers Association collaborate with numerous food science teams to provide a guidance list of foods allowed, not allowed, and could be allowed with testing,  under the Cottage Foods Law.

Click link below for:

EnglishCottage Foods NPH Foods List Guidance.

EspaƱolaMinnesota Ley de Alimentos Cottage /caseros. Lista de alimentos potencialmente no peligrosos

Click here for the Pet Treats Cottage Foods List Guidance.

Click here for the guidance on hemp and cannabis.


Where to get help as a cottage food producer

Minnesota Cottage Food Producers Association was created in January 2020 to provide leadership to the industry. It is governed by board, hosts an annual conference, regional get-togethers, zoom classes, and administers a super helpful Facebook page for MN Registered Cottage Food Producers Group.



Register with the Minnesota Department of Agriculture

In order to sell cottage foods in Minnesota, you must take the mandated training and register with MDA.

MDA's cottage food page is divided into two sections:

By law, your CFP registration is valid in 30 days or less if submitted correctly to MDA. Your certificate will be mailed; you can also look for your registration on MDA's 'license lookup' webpage.

Sales Tax on Foods in Minnesota

Sales tax on foods in Minnesota is complicated. For example, jams & jellies sold at grocery stores are not taxed BUT jams & jellies sold at a farmers' market are taxed.

The Minnesota Department of Revenue (MDOR) has developed a series of facts sheets on food sales tax. Key to note is that MDOR defines food terms differently than either MDA or MDH. 

MFMA, and the Minnesota Cottage Foods Producers Association, with input from the Minnesota Department of Revenue, have collaborated to provide a guidance document, listing foods that are taxable and not taxable.

This list is is not all-encompassing and is provided as a helpful tool for CFPs and licensed food makers to assess whether their food products are taxable.

Do you need a license to sell food at a farmers' market? 

It depends on what you are selling. MFMA teams up with the Minnesota Institute for Sustainable Agriculture and Renewing the Countryside to teach online and in-person classes on Minnesota's food laws, rules, regulations. Classes can be tailored to meet a group's specific needs, and are anywhere from 2 to 4 hours long.

Please email us at to request a class schedule.

Did you know? 

Minnesota has a Minnesota Cottage Food Producer's Association (MCFPA)! They provide resources, conferences, and networking for their members.

Check them out on Facebook or their website

MFMA provides services, programs, and leadership that support and promote farmers' markets across Minnesota.

Engagement & Inclusion Director: Sina Pleggenkuhle /// /// (612) 695-6587 

Local Foodshed Database Manager: Maeve Mallozzi-Kelly /// /// (574) 310-5553

Executive Director: Kathy Zeman /// /// (507) 664-9446 

Minnesota Farmers' Market Association /// 9800 155th Street East, Nerstrand MN 55053 /// 


Copyright MFMA 2023

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software